Friday, October 17, 2008

Decorating Pumpkins


I invited my friend Cindy over for an afternoon this week and we decorated pumpkins. We split the cost, which wasn't much since the silk flower garland was half price. Supplies were: paper plates, moss, silk flowers, leaves and berries, ribbon, hot glue, wire cutters, jewelry wire and beads, tags I had made earlier, and of course, pumpkins!


A little punkin


I really didn't plan for my clothes to match the pumpkins!


I gave my 2 large pumpkins as gifts, one as a hostess gift when we went to a friends for dinner that night, and the other to our daughter. I'm planning to make toppers soon for some white pumpkins, adding a bit more glam and glitz!

I thought of making the pumpkin decor on a heavy paper plate that sits on top of the pumpkin, with a hole for the stem. This way, the top can be removed and saved for next years pumpkin. We started by hot gluing moss to cover the plate, then glued on cut stems from a silk flower garland - leaves, flowers and berries. Then added a string of pearls and a "Thankful" tag I designed on the computer and printed out, attached with jewelry wire and embellished with beads. We wish we'd had better wire cutters and maybe not such hot glue. (ouch.)


A little pumpkin in a pot on the front porch. I love these colors together!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

What a great idea! Very fun and crafty!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

These are the prettiest pumpkins I have seen! Gorgeous and so much fun, too. Mind if I do a link to your post on my blog? You really are so very talented Violet.

hugs,
Becky

kari and kijsa said...

These are stunning!!! Beautiful creations!!

Happy Saturday blessings
kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

How pretty...and very creative....Thank you for sharing this wonderful idea.

Janet said...

Those are just gorgeous. I like how they are abundantly decorated, but not overly decorated if you know what I mean,lol.

Janet

Anonymous said...

Found you on The Inspired Room. Gorgeous pumpkins and photos! Love that you matched your pumpkins, too! Too cute.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

This is just too clever...I seriously want to try this. Love it!!!!