Thursday, December 29, 2011

Poodle Skirt

Poodle from Felted Wool
and fabric stabilizer
glued onto a skirt made from a felted (aka:shrunken) sweater

For this sweet "Madame Alexander" doll
I found at a vintage shop
for a precious little girl for Christmas

...Who also didn't have any shoes....
So, with some more felted wool and glitter of course.
I made my first ever pair of shoes!
-
-
The only sewing on the skirt
was the elastic sewn into the waistband.
(and I also sewed the glued on ribbon)
When wool has been shrunk,
the fibers meld together and becomes heavy felt.
The edges can be cut with no need for sewing.
I used the neck through raglan sleeve upper part
of the sweater to make the skirt. 
-
-
My first expereince of shrinking a sweater was not so pretty.
When I was a little girl, my dear Aunt knitted me a beautiful sweater
 and my mother accidentally
washed it in hot water.
Ruined!
My aunt was not pleased.
I realize now I could not have worn it anyway,
as wool makes me itch.
-
Who knew shrinking sweaters would become a craft?!?
-
-
And I have to show you another crafty girl
who loves to alter and create things with
paper
Her technique: She first tears and rips the paper just so
and then enjoys the work of her paws.
-
She has been known to do this to items she finds
while counter-surfing, such as bills, cards, letters,
she is not choosy.  But wrapping paper has a
distinct flavor and is so easy to rip,
and makes a fancy sound
that delights
her ears.

8 comments:

C'est moi Claudette said...

Yes Violet, who knew you could felt with wool from our silly mistakes. I for one ruined many beautiful sweaters in my day. I should have kept them, lol.
LOVE LOVE LOVE your sweet poodle skirt and those cute felt shoes!!!
What a special little princess to have a grandma that makes such treasured clothes for her doll.
You knew I would LOVE the sweet poodle, you were right, I do.
Happy New Year my friend.
It's freezing here. I think we hit -18 celsius last night. BRRRRRR
xoxoxoxo

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

teeeheeee...I tell you, DAZZLE HERSELF could have her own BLOG!!!!! AND YOU HAVE NOW MADE ME THINK about a sweater that I just have to wash and put in the dryer. AND....all of your creations are of course the most fascinating melding of INGENUITY AND BEAUTY MY DEAR! Speaking of those darling shoes....I just found a fairy shoe that I made years ago...perhaps there is room for it in my Etsy shop. I must send you a pic.

Ahhh...that poodle is just darling...I SEE THAT OUR DEAR Claudie wash here; I can imagine that she just loved that poodle!

LOVE TO YOU DEAR SISTER! Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Teeeheee.....oh this girl, this DAZZLE is fit to belong to her own blogging gang! She would most certainly fit in with George the Lad who also seems to enjoy shenanigans!!

DEAR FRIEND, what a great year it was for us,to share in all the creative beauty that HE inspires in us. Oh how I look forward to all that comes out of your mind and heart!

Have a great day, Anita

lisa Moran, Bilancia Designs said...

How wonderful to see your comment this morning,Violet! I love your adorable skirt and shoes...and the bird on your ETSY shop! Oh my goodness!!! How beautiful!!! You are VERY talented!
Anita IS such a lovely person, isn't she? I truly feel as though we've skipped over 20+ years and became "old friends" instantly. She's incredibly talented and I look forward to seeing her talents shine for all to see in the New Year.
She absolutely ADORES you... and I can see why from all the beautiful comments I read and how fondly she speaks of you. I look forward to getting to know you better also in the coming year. :)
Wishing you a magical New Year ~
Lisa
XO

RDA Pony Tales said...

Hello Violet
Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your kind comments.
Anita brings many people together, she is a such a special person.
I know about the Cavalia horses and looked them up on the net. I would so love to see them, and feel sure you will have the most wonderful time watching them perform.
You clearly have a gift for art and creating lovely things. The poodle skirt is just so cute!
Oh, and your fabulous dog has the most glossy coat, unlike my pony Spotty, who has been rolling in mud and is very dirty!
I wish you a very Happy New Year.
Abby

~CC Catherine said...

What a cute doll, but cuter was your creations to help dress her up. My neighbors mother knitted a purse from wool and then washed it in hot water...it's the coolest handbag. I'll have to take a pic of it and post about it soon. The little poodle skirt with the poodle is precious with a capital P - oh my; love it. And the slippers so cute too. Your little lovey doggie is precious with those torn and ripped papers sitting at his/her feet.

Happy New Year friend......
~Hugs,
~CC

Anonymous said...

Besides loving the felted doll clothes, I love your comment about your Afghan 'counter surfing'!! My lovely Diashi used to do that. Especially if there was cake or bread on the counter. And if there was a kleenex in an open trash can, she tore it to shreds. Of course, She trained me not to leave these items out for her.

Anonymous said...

Besides loving the felted doll clothes, I love your comment about your Afghan 'counter surfing'!! My lovely Diashi used to do that. Especially if there was cake or bread on the counter. And if there was a kleenex in an open trash can, she tore it to shreds. Of course, She trained me not to leave these items out for her.