Friday, September 21, 2012

Light and Shadow & the Queens Chair

-
This is what we call The Queens Chair
{and it is mine so you know who it is referring to}

The Sun Streams in On This Gorgeous Late Summer Morning
{I refuse to say it is Fall yet, I hold out until October}

The Simplicity of One Lone Chair
 and the patterns created by
L  I  G  H  T
so calm, serene, and beautiful to me
-
-
-

I have never been a minimalist,
nor do I like the look of overly-filled rooms (which I find make me feel nervous)
-
The upstairs still has boxes galore that need unpacking,
we have a storage unit full of our belongings,
(we only brought last week the minimal stuff we had at our rental home
while we were building our house)
-
and
I almost dread bringing it all here
{almost}
because right now I am enjoying the
sheer simplicity
of the bare bones of the house
-
~ the light brushing over the dog on the couch ~
the sun streaming in and creating a dance of shadows
across the stained concrete floors
-
This morning I am contemplating God's first recorded words
over this third planet from the sun,
in the book of Genesis:
-
And God said,
 "Let there be LIGHT"
~ and there was light ~
And God saw that the light was good.-
And God separated the light from the darkness
Genesis 1:2
-
-
-
-
Sometimes I will be driving along
and suddenly notice the way the sunlight is
skimming over the tops of the trees
and the beauty of the long shadows that form underneath
-
And am struck with awe
and praise rises to the surface in my heart
and pours from my lips
{ or just a 'Thank You!" }
-
Light and shadows are one of the
greatest inspirations to me as an artist.
-
Have you ever viewed a painting
of the most simple or mundane item,
but the light and shadows create a beautiful design?
{if so, you have seen what the artist saw}
-

Enjoy the simple beauty that is created by
L  I  G  H  T
{what are you seeing?}

-
~ Violet ~

7 comments:

Createology said...

Your home is lovely and that is a wonderful chair for the Queen. My favorite time to sit and just enjoy is evening when the sun is illuminating the very tops of the giant pine and cedar trees that surround our home here in the Sierra foothills. Glorious...

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I see my dear friend and sister, enjoying the God-given talent to see beyond the object, beyond the empty space.....

I am here, and I soared OVER A RAINBOW to get here dear and wonderful VIOLET!

I hear what you are saying about light. Just yesterday, Ruben bought a fabulous camera, and I can't wait to learn how to use it so I can perhaps capture not just THE LIGHT that the camera seizes, but what my HEART SEES. For IT IS GOOD, indeed.

I also hear what you are saying about the BARE SPACES; you almost DON'T WANT to fill them and I TOO get nervous when a room is filled too much with colors that don't match...not to say that I do not like the color choices, but I prefer a quiet and calm canvas for my living space....that one QUEEN CHAIR looks as if she is just basking in the sun, not wanting to move, sitting ever so stately. The trees in the background, OH MY, they look as if they have stood ground there for years.

A MASTERPIECE is this wonderful post, your new home, YOUR LIFE and the manner in which you waited for this new creation to come to pass.

LOVE TO YOU, ALWAYS MY FRIEND! Anita

Anne said...

i know exactly how you feel! we are also unpacking into a temp rental, and i feel like tossing 3/4 of the stuff...a sparely furnished room lets me breathe deeply. Gorgeous photos!

~CC Catherine said...

I love the "Queen's Chair"! :) And you are so right Violet, Light and Shadow are amazing gifts to every artist, photographer, and every person who is blessed to take the time to notice it.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

My precious friend and sister,

I hope you know how tickled I am for you to be in your new home AND how much YOU TOO, mean to me.

I so wish I could just get on a plane and see you and this new home of yours, and how YOU add your touch to it.

Thank you for coming to visit me again; poetic living is what I love, but of course, that is also expressed in GLITTER, non? I cannot wait to see what you have up your creative sleeves. But I hope that you will be able to tackle each task of getting your space organized so you can MAKE THINGS!!!

I am so glad that your email is now working!!! HUGS! Anita

Sandee Sifferman said...

I checked your blog today and it is so lovely! I love the photos of the house and hope to see it soon.

We are deep in the middle of our home facelift. You know our doors are almost identical. We have those same shaker doors, but the vertical panel goes all the way up, so it forms a cross rather than a T. I'll have to check out your doorknobs as we are still undecided about what to do there.

Also, your door headers and trim moldings look very similar to what our contractor is installing in our house. I guess great minds think alike!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

And it is the light and shadows that must live together, for their full affect....that is so true of everything about life.

THANK YOU for your constant support my dear Violet...THINKING OF YOU on this bright and beautiful new day! Anita